Monday, October 20, 2008

The speed of change

When I was out visiting my Dad a couple of years ago, his brother was there as well and it was fun to listen to them reminisce about their childhood.

One of those stories was about the first time they saw a car. Yeah, that's right. The first time the saw a car! Apparently my uncle was so amazed he ran right out in front of it and it knocked him over and went right over him. Thank goodness for the high clearance of those first cars!

My Mom has been working on writing the memoir of her Dad for some time. I've gotten to see parts of this. Again, one story really stood out to me. He told her about the time when he was around 5 years old, and they were moving from one town to another in Missouri.

They loaded up all their belongings on a covered wagon. Yup, a covered wagon! It still amazes me when I think about it. My Grandfather moved when he was 5 in a covered wagon!

Covered wagons, the first cars, these things were part of the lives of people in my life. I wonder now, what it will be that I recall for my kids, or grandkids that will be just as amazing to them in comparison to the world they will exist in.

No comments: