Monday, November 10, 2008

No Corners

After this historic election, reading things on www.factcheck.org, talking with friends, reading comments online, it's amazing how polarized things get.

As if we were all so different. In reality most of us are trying to do good things with the best of intentions. That's why when people try to demonize people on the other side of a political stance, to me it feels contrived, like so much hyperbole.

This reminds me of the old Tom Lehrer line he said before his song "National Brotherhood Week." "There are people out there that do not love their fellow man, and I hate people like that!"

But seriously, back in my 20s I came to the realization that no one has the corner on the truth market. Most of the polarizing arguments represent a false dichotomy presented in a very biased fashion by both sides.

Fundamentally I think people find clear cut divisions more appealing than fuzzy gray areas and I suppose that's why the divisions we see out there develop and are played upon.

My thought is a little doubt goes a long way. If you're willing to think about the possibility that you may be wrong and look at not just the other side of an argument, but at what might be between those points of view, in the process you'll come to a deeper understanding of your own beliefs and learn more about others as well and possibly come to a new solution even if you simply end up reaffirming what you believe in.

Bottom line - anything worth believing is worth questioning.

No comments: