Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Plot Solving Rock

This weekend I was playing Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess while my kids watched.

So they're watching me make my way through an area they've already done, and out of nowhere this absolutely huge glowing volcanic rock drops down into the area I'm in. My reaction was "Woah! What the heck was that about?" when my middle son said "Oh, it's the plot solving rock!"

So at this point I stop playing and go "What?" And he told me "Don't worry, you'll find out later." I shrugged and continued, it apparently served no purpose at that moment and I proceeded with my playing.

At a later date the kids are watching me play again suddenly I found myself in an area where I need something to melt a frozen lake. My middle son says "Time for the plot solving rock!"

Ha! So that's it! It sure did seem like a clumsy contrived solution to the problem, and the kids saw it as such. I thought of the phrase "Deus ex machina." So I took the opportunity to explain what that means to the them.

But I have to say, I like the phase "Plot solving rock." It's easier to pronounce and conveys the idea as well. A new addition to the vernacular of our household.

No comments: