Saturday, November 12, 2011

Adventures in Better Homes and Gardens “New” Cook Book 1976 Revised Edition, 4th Printing 1977

It all started with a cookbook and a recipe for chocolate chip cookies. I had been dragging this cookbook around the planet for around 30 years. It had traveled halfway around the globe, survived a fire, 3 small kids, and who knows what else. But it was much, much worse for the wear. Front and back covers gone, and many pages damaged, some gone. But this cookbook had the best recipe for chocolate chip cookies I’ve ever had, “Chocolate Chippers.”

It was the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book. I didn’t know what edition, because that page was long gone. Although I’d usually used this book for the “Chocolate Chippers” recipe, one weekend I pulled out the newer version of the same cookbook, which I think is an 80s or 90s version, and proceeded to make the recipe for “Chocolate Chip Cookies.”

Once these came out of the oven and the kids started in the questions began – “What’s wrong with these cookies?” “They don’t taste like the ones you usually make.” “Yeah, they’re blah!” I thought how could these be so different? So I pulled out my old falling apart book and opened the books side by side. The proportions of the ingredients were a little different, but there was one critical change. The newer version of the recipe did not have salt.

Most cooks know a little salt in a sweet dish adds “pop” to it. And my boys without knowing could absolutely taste the difference. Ultimately what I realized was a big difference between my old cookbook and the newer version was there were many attempts to make the recipes healthier in the newer version.

I really don’t see the point in healthy versions of stuff that’s not supposed to be good for you in the first place. And I despise non-fat and low fat versions of stuff. I’d much rather control how much I eat than compromise the flavor. I never used the newer book again for cookies, but that difference nagged at my brain.

Being the slightly obsessive-compulsive person I am I became fascinated by how the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book evolved. I dug for information, and there was very little to be found. I could not find a listing of versions, revisions, editions, anything. And one thought seized me – I need to get a new copy of this old book before it’s completely destroyed. But how do I figure out what used copy of this book to get?

The clue was the back of the binder. Better Homes and Gardens had varied the cover and back binder design over time and I was able to find a possible match on Ebay. I contacted the seller and tried to get more information about the book but didn’t hear back, so I decided to take my chances and ordered it.

When it arrived, I was not disappointed. There was my “Chocolate Chippers” recipe, and being the mathy geek I am, I checked to see if the last page had the same page number and contents. This would be my equivalent of a checksum for a book, and it matched. So now I had it and so….. so what? I thought about how the cookie recipe was so much better and hatched a plan.

I would make one new cookie recipe each weekend. Basically take a tour of every cookie recipe in the book as a way to celebrate and have a little fun. And so it started.

I have been doing this for about 4 weeks now and it’s been a delight. So I’ve decided to start blogging my cooking adventures. What recipe I’m trying, how making it goes and will post photos too of the making and results. I didn’t take these in my first few efforts, but will do so going forward.

I will catch up with where I am, then post each weekend as I do my next experiment. I hope you enjoy it, and if you want, get a copy and follow along!

Happy baking!

3 comments:

CurshDude said...

I am curious what edition (year) you have. I grew up with the 70s edition, which I believe might have been the same as the 1968 edition. There is no blue square on the binding or a blue circle behind the cover letters.

But I have seen one that look identical to mine. But it has the blue square on the binding. I truly wonder what the difference is.

Molly McGee said...

I think I've cracked the BHG New Cook Book mystery!

I too was after a replacement copy of what turns out to be the '76 edition; my mother wanted a copy because hers is falling apart. I tend to be obsessive--she told me to forget it after I bought the wrong one (1953 edition, first one, a very cool and still useful book which I'm happy to have) I couldn't drop it, though.

To make a longish story short, it occurred to me to check the U.S. copyright site, and I've found the years of new editions! 1953, 1968, 1976, 1981, 1989, 1996... who cares, after that. :) But there's a 2005 reprint of the classic '53 edition, with pages artificially browned, apparently. I haven't seen it, but Amazon reviewers have mixed reactions on the cheesy aged effect. I'm just glad I obtained my original, before seeing and buying that one.

I think it would be a fascinating project to create a blog featuring these various versions, including pictures, and perhaps lists of recipes they contain, since that changes with each subsequent edition. I just know there are people in this same situation, scouring the net and memory for identifying information that they can't find.

Plus I'd love an excuse to collect the early editions to compare them. :)

Christina

Molly McGee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.