Thursday, November 17, 2011

Vanilla Crisps, Page 119, 2nd Column, 1st Recipe

It was time to pick a 3rd cookie and the Vanilla Crisps caught my eye. They looked simple enough.

The closest recipe on allrecipes.com is Vanilla Wafers III, it has a touch less sugar, and added salt.

This cookie recipe was very standard, cream butter/shortening and sugar. (BTW, I always use butter flavored shortening in cookie recipes calling for shortening now.) Add the eggs, vanilla and blend in, then the dry ingredients mixed together.

The next part was the fun part. There were two options, drop by spoonfuls and flatten with the bottom of a floured glass, or chill and form into 1” balls and then flatten. I did the former. But oddly enough the real trick was finding a glass with a flat bottom! I ended up resorting to a Pyrex 1 cup measuring cup.

I squished the cookies fairly flat, around ⅛” inch. The interesting thing to note in this recipe is there is no leavening agent. No baking soda or powder that is present in many cookie recipes. So these cookie don’t puff up much when baked.

I liked the rough edges from using the dropped spoonfuls of dough and then the glass to flatten. I then baked them at my usual 9 minutes in a 375 oven and the result was OK. Sort of like a sugar cookie, but then I made a mistake with the final tray of cookies.

When I put them in I forgot to start the time. When I finally realized what happened I figured I’d lost about 2 minutes. So I put 7 on the timer and did not keep an eye on them. When I pulled them out about the last quarter inch of the outside edge of the cookies was lightly browned. I was dissappointed, I tend to like soft cookies and I knew these would end up crunchy. But there was a surprise in store.

Once the last batch had cooled, I tried one, and to my surprise they tasted better that the lightly cooked ones. I brought these in and got the same response, a little browning at the edges and it was a better cookie. Very tasty! I am going to try these again and let them brown at the edges and be a crispy cookie instead next time.

Lessons Learned:

Try 1” balls chilled then flattened.

Bake longer, they tasted better with a browned edge.

No comments: