Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Just Two Feet

For about the third time in just as many weeks as I was pulling up to pay for my breakfast at the McDonald's drive through, I stopped behind the person in front of me who was in the process of paying.

So they pay and pull forward, but only just a little. They don't pull up all the way behind the car that is picking up their meal. There must be a gap of 2-3 feet. The result? I can't pull up to the cashier and pay for my meal.

I'm reminded of that old George Carlin routine - how all other drivers besides you are either idiots or maniacs (RIP George Carlin!). I'd swear there is a population of drivers that are totally oblivious to anyone else out there.

I'll be the first to admit, I make the occasional boneheaded mistake driving, but in general I try to drive in a way that takes into account how I might affect people around me. I don't block intersections, I always pull up as far as I can, and in heavy traffic and merge situations, I try to fairly let people in (sometimes to the protest of those behind me!)

So if you drive and are reading this, don't leave gaps when you're going through the drive through, just pull up as far as you can. Most of the time it might not make a difference, but every so often someone behind you is really going to appreciate it, and that includes me.

No comments: