Monday, July 7, 2008

Rolling the World

Most days I go for a walk at least once. Sometimes I’m walking with a friend, but most often I’m walking alone. Usually I’ve got a tune in my head to try to keep a quick tempo to my step. I used to use Darth Vadar’s Theme from Star Wars Episode V – that’s got a great pace to it. My current favorite is the track “The Raising Fighting Spirit” which I’m assuming is a mistranslation of the name of the track, but it’s from the show Naruto (did I mention I love Naruto?)

But sometimes on a walk I like to play a little mental game. I imagine that I’m actually standing in one spot and rotating the earth under my feet like a clown on a large ball at the circus. This works best if you have a nice straight area to walk. Just a bit of focus and suddenly it feels real, like each foot step is rolling this immense ball under my feet.

Next time you go for a walk try it out. And if some mornings you notice something odd going on with the earth’s rotation between 4:00 and 4:30 AM, now you know what’s going on. :)

No comments: