Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Chocolate Waffles and Deep Thoughts

This weekend I was making something I haven’t made in a long time for breakfast – chocolate waffles. My oldest son (12 years old) barely remembered them, and my two younger ones (11 and 9 years old) had no memory of them at all.

As I was making them, I was trying to tempt my youngest son into trying them since he was intently watching the process of making the waffles and he was enjoying the chocolate smell wafting from the waffle iron. Of course as many parents know trying to get kids to try new foods can be a very frustrating endeavor. Often they’ll just try such a tiny piece that they couldn’t possibly get a sense of the flavor of what they’re trying. And once they’ve tried that molecule sized piece they conclude (of course) that they don’t like it.

In the process of declining trying the chocolate waffles, my youngest son perked up and excitedly made the following observation. “I wonder how I figured out that I liked the foods I like to eat?”

No comments: