Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Latrine Duty

While I was in the Navy, one of the usual chores we'd end up with from time to time was cleaning the bathrooms.

On this particular night a friend of mine, Nora, and I had to clean both the men's and the women's bathrooms. Of course cleaning the women's was not a problem, but at some point we needed to get into the men's room.

I knocked, opened the door a little and announced our intentions. No one replied so we went in. Well this bathroom smelled awful, the stench was just intense and Nora loudly proclaims "It smells like s*** in here!" Just as she's saying this I look over and notice that one of the stall doors is closed - some guy is in one of the stalls!

Nora loudly continues her diatribe about the foul smell in the bathroom going on and on and I'm trying to pull her out of there. All the while the guy in the stall is saying nothing. Finally I manage to drag her out and let her know some guy was in there the whole time. "WHAT!!??" She's mortified. So we stand there and wait and a few minutes later this guy sheepishly comes out and quickly disappears.

Why he didn't let us know he was in there, I have no idea, but to this day remembering this still makes me laugh.

No comments: