Friday, September 11, 2009

The best games surprise you

My favorite moments in video games are definitely when something takes me by surprise, something that is completely unexpected - but is consistent with the game story.

A couple of years ago playing World of Warcraft I had one of those moments that still sticks with me.

In the game when you're out and about you might run into wandering monsters, etc. But once you go into a town, you're generally safe. In particular when you go into an inn, where you typically log out, you're always safe.

You probably see where I'm going here...

So there I was, fresh from doing a few quests and such, I went into a town and into the local inn. I was checking my bags, thinking of what I wanted to do next when there was shouting from the town guards about assassins in the hills. I noticed, but ignored this since I was safely inside the inn and stepped into the kitchen to start doing some cooking when it happened!

Suddenly I was garrotted from behind by an assassin! Right in the kitchen of the inn! I was totally shocked. So now I'm fighting for my life in the place where I'd always felt immune to danger. I had to do everything I could to survive. When I picked up the loot from the dead assassin, one of the things he held was a contract on my life. On me! As it turns out this started a quest where I would find out more about those who put out a contract on my life. It was awesome.

This has been one of the things that has kept me interested in playing World of Warcraft (among many other things) and they've gotten better and better at inserting little and big surprises in the game. It definitely keeps me coming back every day.

No comments: